Developer Igor Vasiliev has just dropped another "far out" app into the iOS world with his latest app, FieldScaper. This universal app serves as both a field recorder, and a soundscaper. Check out the overview video below:
Per Igor's website, the purpose of FieldScaper is "to shorten the way from recording samples to create spectacular soundscapes and in addition to use this app as glitch loop based effect in the real-time". As you can see from the demo video above, it does both of these very well. As this app is universal, you can get some incredible ambient or full-on noise recordings from a simple walk in the park on your iPhone.
I'll let Igor give you all the details of the app, straight from the App Store description:
Advanced field recorder combined with sound warp engine with a collection of ready to use dynamic presets for iPad and iPhone. Discover new ways to create and construct unusual and exciting sounds from any environmental audio recordings or samples recorded from other apps through Inter-App audio or Audiobus.
The FieldScaper consists of two main parts. The first part is the field recorder with special options for different ways of record environmental sound from microphone or record other sound sources. The second part is the scaper sound engine that with using dynamic presets can easily transform the most ordinary samples into something absolutely different. These parts connect with each other into one whole but you can use recorder or scaper separately.
The scaper sound engine contains three sample-based oscillators each with filters, delay, distortion and spatial mixer. The most of parameters can be assigned on individual low-frequency oscillators. With using the "Main effect" fader you can control several these parameters in different ranges. These features give you the abilty to create continuously changing, breaking and glitching sound forms and loop-based effects from ordinary samples of synths, guitars, voices or everyday sounds of the environment.
FieldScaper supports complete MIDI control for all faders, knobs and many buttons. You can change the parameters of oscillators, filters, delays and mixer by using any external MIDI controller or MIDI apps like sequencers. With the MIDI controllers this app becomes very comfortable to use at live performance.
● Loop based mode for recording and processing in real-time.
● Auto start record when input signal appears.
● Auto stop record when silence or by time.
● Record timer in seconds or measures.
● Monitoring input signal with different modes.
● Automatic gain control of input signal.
● Predefined filters for input.
● Noise gate on the input.
Scaper sound engine:
● Three sample-based oscillators with complete processing.
● Low-pass, high-pass and band-pass filters with resonance.
● Two range delay with smooth time change and additional modes.
● Spatial mixer/reverb with side and distance.
● Wide range of oscillator clock speed change with reverse.
● Distortion effect based on masking sample address (like circuit bending).
● Distortion effect consisting of lofi, overload, noise and ring modulation.
● Individual LFO for variable parameters of oscillators and filters.
● The "Main effect" function for control several parameters simultaneously.
● Presets for save all parameters of oscillator and filters.
● Predefined presets with wide range of effects.
● Convenient file manager with groups of files by name or date.
● Complete MIDI control for all faders, knobs and other modes.
● Possibility to download additional samples in different audio formats.
● Uploading samples thru Web access, clipboard, from another app and iTunes.
● Different color schemes available for the user interface.
● Detailed application description.
● Supports Audiobus with "State Saving" feature.
● Inter-App audio compatible.
As you can see, this app covers many bases. Full Audiobus state saving, IAA-compatibility, MIDI control for all controls, and even LFO-based control over the oscillators and filters, similar to the ApeSoft/Amazing Noises apps (a favorite feature of mine).
The app is very small in size (9.3mb), and can run on devices as "old" as an iPad 3 or iPhone 5. It's also iOS 7 and up compatible, for all of you people still living in 2013.
On top of all that, the app is launching at an intro sale price of only $5.99 USD. Igor Vasiliev has an amazing track record from his previous apps. His SoundScaper app is unparalleled, and AltiSpace, Master FX, and Audio Mastering are all at the top of my list in their respective categories. Anyone who has purchased his apps in the past also know that they are well-maintained, with frequent updates and feature improvements well after initial release.
Having read all of that, it probably goes without saying that I highly recommend FieldScaper. I've only played with it a bit since last night, but I'm getting some wild sounds out of this immediately. As my sounds tend more towards the noise & ambient side of things, this app hits the spot.
If you're thinking about buying FieldScaper, please consider clicking through our App Store link below. Thanks![app 1006624104]